I’ve got this recipe from my mother but I’ve changed it a little bit to get a more rustic and comfy taste to it. First time I made this cake, I brought it to a party my sister invited me to and it disappeared almost instantly, this cake was really the star of the party! The only complaint I got was that there wasn’t enough of the sweet lemony glaze on top of the cake, so this time I made the glaze thickier and I spread it more strategically.
The thickness of a glaze depends mostly on lemon, if it’s a bigger lemon, smaller, juicier, less juicy, etc. So I would recommend that you slowly stir lemon juice in a bowl of icing sugar to get the right consistency. You want a more sticky consistency, not runny.
The cake itself is not very lemony and I am thinking of some ways to make it more lemony and aromatic. If you have some ideas, let me know in the comments
180 grams BUTTER (room temperature)
180 grams BROWN SUGAR (you can use white also)
180 grams SPELT FLOUR (you can use any other flour but I find this cake the tastiest when I use this flour)
10 grams VANILLA SUGAR or 1 teaspoon VANILLA EXTRACT
1 teaspoon BAKING POWDER
ZEST of 1 LEMON (make sure you dont zest the white part)
2 tablespoon POPPY SEEDS
For the glaze:
100 grams ICING SUGAR
JUICE of 1 LEMON
- Preheat an oven to 180°C.
- Separate egg whites and beat them until you get a thick foam.
- In another bowl whisk butter so you get a nice creamy consistency. Then add sugar, vanilla and egg yolks.
- Then mix in egg whites, flour and baking powder nice and slowly with a spatula.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes and put a toothpick in the centre, if the toothpick comes out clean and dry the cake is done. If it comes out moist and sticky, bake the cake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cool before adding the glaze.
- For the glaze, mix lemon juice and icing sugar together and when you get the right consistency pour it on top of the loaf.
- Enjoy! 🙂